Notch Communications is one of six top science marketing agencies featured in C&EN Media Group’s Movers & Shakers eBook. Founded in 2011, Notch is a full-service marketing and digital marketing agency serving B2B clients in life science, specialty chemicals, contract development, biotech and drug development. We talked to Notch co-founder and COO Kate Whelan about recent challenges within the industry and how to cut through the noise to stand out in a crowded and innovative field.
Insights from Notch Communications
Prior to her work in science marketing, Kate completed her PhD and three years of postdoctoral research on spinal cord injury at the University of Cambridge, Centre for Brain Repair.
Then, in 2011, she co-founded Notch Communications. Today, she leads Notch Scandinavia, where she is largely involved in clients’ marketing strategy, PR and technical writing.
Kate credits Notch’s unique blend of scientists and marketers for ensuring the agency maintains a deep understanding of its clients’ technologies and pain points. In fact, Notch’s scientifically-trained writing team is comprised entirely of individuals with at least degree-level qualifications in scientific subjects. This mix helps the agency strike a balance between storytelling and distilling extremely technical concepts.
“We are passionate about what we do, and it does come through when we meet with potential clients,” says Kate. “We start every project with a deep dive to truly understand the problem at hand and provide a tailored solution. We love to bring new ideas to the table, pushing the envelope where we can.”
Notch Communications at a Glance
- Website: notchcommunications.com
- Year Formed: 2011
- LinkedIn: Notch-Communications-ltd
- Primary Industries Served: Life Sciences — CROs, CDMOs, Fine Chemicals, Catalysts, Reagents, and Analytical Lab Equipment
- Services Provided: Full B2B Marketing Services: Brand Strategy and Positioning, Brand Development, Planning, Market Research, Creative Design, Digital Marketing, Website Design and Development, Social Media Management and Content, Scientific Content Writing, PR and Media Relations, and Event Support
- Target Audiences: Marketing Managers, Other M- and C-level Decision-Makers in Biotech, Pharma, CROs, CDMOs, and Suppliers of Fine Chemicals, Materials and Instruments to the Life Sciences Industry
- Office Locations: Manchester, UK and Stockholm, Sweden
Get the Movers & Shakers eBook
Learn more about Notch Communications and get access to Kate’s complete insights in our Movers & Shakers of Science Marketing eBook.Keywords: Digital Strategies, marketing to scientists, messaging, science marketing